Subject collection: Imaging
- Real-time insights into regulated exocytosis
Summary: This Commentary focuses on recent developments in three-dimensional time-lapse imaging of regulated secretion occurring in living secreting organs.
- Localization of phosphorylated connexin 43 using serial section immunogold electron microscopy
Highlighted Article: Here, we show how new 3D electron microscopy techniques can be extended to investigate ultrastructural protein localization in order to advance insight into mechanisms of gap junction internalization.
- Error-prone meiotic division and subfertility in mice with oocyte-conditional knockdown of pericentrin
Summary: A unique transgenic mouse model was used to demonstrate that loss of maternal Pericentrin (Pcnt) leads to highly error-prone meiotic division and severely reduced female fertility, with spindle formation becoming reliant on Ran GTPase activity.
- Super-resolution mapping of scaffold nucleoporins in the nuclear pore complex
Summary: Combination of super-resolution SPEED microscopy and nanobody specific labeling of nucleoporins can be used to map the radial and axial distributions of scaffold proteins in native nuclear pore complexes.
- Caveolae provide a specialized membrane environment for respiratory syncytial virus assembly
- A RhoG-mediated signaling pathway that modulates invadopodia dynamics in breast cancer cells
- The Rap1–cofilin-1 pathway coordinates actin reorganization and MTOC polarization at the B cell immune synapse
- Giant FAZ10 is required for flagellum attachment zone stabilization and furrow positioning in Trypanosoma brucei
Summary: Functional characterization of the T. brucei giant protein FAZ10 reveals it has roles in flagellar attachment, nucleus and kinetoplast positioning and, uniquely for a FAZ protein, a direct role in cytokinesis.
- The LINC complex contributes to heterochromatin organisation and transcriptional gene silencing in plants
Summary: The plant LINC complex contributes to heterochromatin position at the nuclear periphery, maintains transcriptional gene silencing and participates in compaction of heterochromatic sequences in cotyledon epidermis and root hair cells.