Subject collection: Microtubule Dynamics
- The MgcRacGAP SxIP motif tethers Centralspindlin to microtubule plus ends in Xenopus laevis
Highlighted Article: This article demonstrates that Centralspindlin is tethered to microtubule plus ends via an SxIP motif, and disruption of this motif causes defects in cytokinesis and cell–cell junctions.
- Microtubule organization within mitotic spindles revealed by serial block face scanning electron microscopy and image analysis
Summary: Spatial analysis of microtubule organisation in mitotic cells by using 3D imaging and mathematical modelling.
- CAMSAP3 accumulates in the pericentrosomal area and accompanies microtubule release from the centrosome via katanin
Summary: Non-centrosomal microtubules are nucleated at centrosomes and then released; here, we show that CAMSAP3 coordinates with dynein and katanin to mediate this release.
- Tubulin isotype substitution revealed that isotype combination modulates microtubule dynamics in C. elegans embryos
Summary: By using genome-editing-mediated tubulin isotype substitutions and depletion owing to RNAi, we demonstrate that different combinations of tubulin isotypes confer distinct properties to microtubule dynamics and mitotic spindle oscillation in C. elegans embryos.
- GSK3-mediated CLASP2 phosphorylation modulates kinetochore dynamics
Summary: Kinetochore–microtubule interactions are essential for faithful chromosome segregation. Here, we describe consequences of GSK3 phosphorylation-site mutations that control CLASP2 interactions with microtubules during mitosis.
- The Arabidopsis kinesin-4, FRA1, requires a high level of processive motility to function correctly
Summary: This study shows that the motility of kinesin mutants can differ significantly between in vitro and in vivo conditions and that abundant processive motility is important for the kinesin function of FRA1.
- Alterations in the balance of tubulin glycylation and glutamylation in photoreceptors leads to retinal degeneration
Summary: The connecting cilia of photoreceptors are post-translationally glycylated and glutamylated. Unbalancing these two modifications invariably leads to retinal degeneration.
- The spectraplakin Short stop is an essential microtubule regulator involved in epithelial closure in Drosophila
Summary: The Drosophila spectraplakin Shot coordinates actin–microtubule interactions at the leading edge to ensure the formation of filopodia that promote the dorsal closure of the embryonic epithelium.
- A potential physiological role for bi-directional motility and motor clustering of mitotic kinesin-5 Cin8 in yeast mitosis
Highlighted Article: We show that clustering of the mitotic kinesin-5 Cin8 on microtubules controls its motile properties and directionality, and we provide a refined model of how Cin8 performs its essential functions in mitosis.
- MZT1 regulates microtubule nucleation by linking γTuRC assembly to adapter-mediated targeting and activation
Highlighted Article: In human cells, integrity of the microtubule nucleator γTuRC is crucial for γ-tubulin-dependent functions and is monitored by MZT1 to enable interaction with other factors necessary for spatial regulation of nucleation.