1. The structure of the campaniform sensillae occurring on the wing-bases of the adult worker bee is described.
2. The essential features in their later developmental phases in the pupa have been followed.
3. The observations described lend no support to those of MacIndoo, that the actual termination of the nerve-fibre is exposed to the outside air.
4. The wing-base organs, as described by other workers in different insects, are discussed, with special reference to the identity of the cellular elements composing these structures.
5. The paper concludes with a short discussion of the position of the sensory neuron and a brief review of the supposed function of the campaniform sensillae.
- Copyright © 1931 by the Company of Biologists Ltd.